Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Of Course...More Rambling.

I think it was last October when I decided it was time to clean out closets, declutter, and have a yard sale. I can't recall if that decision was made prior to finding out my son would be getting married November 5th of  last year or not.  Regardless,  I cleaned out closets, declutterd and ended up with several plastic storage containers of things I no longer wanted to store.  These would go in the yard sale. 

With the wedding, Thanksgiving and then Christmas, I knew the yard sale would have to wait until spring.  Surely by then things would have calmed down a bit, the weather would be nicer and I might even re-declutter and have more things to sell.  Yeah right.

Since I put those things in the containers to sell, I've reclaimed:

Some saucers and plates purchased from an antique store that used to hang on my walls.  (I want to rehang them.)
My RB sunglasses (I got contacts so I can wear them again.)
A candle holder (I really did like it on top of my china cabinet.)

I thinks that's all I dragged back to use again.  Is that funny or what?  I guess some of the things I thought of as clutter when I went on my "spree" weren't actually clutter because I really did like them and after not having them where I could see them for awhile, I realized I missed them so back in the house they came.  Well, the sunglasses don't fall into that category, but I NEED them since I no longer wear glasses having lens that darken when out in the sun. 

Hopefully I'll be having that yard sale the first weekend of April if I can stop bringing the stuff back in.

How often do we decide we need to declutter our lives?  Not houses and things, but lives.  Do we let go of friends we think we don't need any longer only to find out later that we really did need them afterall?  Do we turn off the TV, the computers, the cell phones only to suffer withdrawals?  I've found that I get sick and tired of noise.  Hubby goes out to his office to work and many days, I cut the TV off just so I can have quiet.  It helps me declutter my life because then I can focus on whatever I'm doing or what I need to do.  Or, I can just let my brain rest and declutter.  Sometimes the noise of a TV or radio just drive me bonkers.  Turning it off and just sitting in my chair gazing outside allows me to think clearly about something, to daydream, have an idea, and clear out the cobwebs in my head.

Speaking of cobwebs,  it's amazing how many I've been able to see with the new contacts.  Have mercy.  I saw one this past weekend and yanked my curtains down, washed them, got the cobwebs down and that's where it ended.  I got sick and haven't felt like putting them back up.  I also noticed that my windows need to be cleaned.  No point in putting the curtains up until that is done.  Oh and the walls are dusty too.  Gotta get them clean too and since I'm gonna paint, it would have to be done anyway.  And, it's time to clean the lampshades again.   I'll put all that on a list of things I have to do.  For now, I'm gonna sit in my chair and gaze out the window for a few minutes.  Then, I'm going to go crawl back into bed and read some more of The Help.  No TV will be blaring either.   I'll deal with the stuff to do tomorrow, or maybe the next day.  Today, I'm gonna enjoy my book and quietness.  My body won't let me do otherwise, so I won't feel guilty!

Hope you find time to enjoy some quiet time and allow your brain to rest!

No comments: